Possibly the most serious effect of HT is a stroke or CVA.
It’s vital to consider if an individual is having a stroke when there are certain symptoms. Identifying a stroke can save their life or prevent major complications, so don’t hesitate to contact the Emergency Services wherever you are (by calling 911 or 112).
Signs that can precede a stroke:
- Weakness on one side of the bodyNumbness of the face
- Unusual and severe headache
- Loss of vision
- Tingling of hands and arms.
“FAST” is a simple and practical acronym used in the US to help you remember, identify and act on the signs of a stroke:Identify a stroke FAST to save a life
- F (Face)…….. Does one side of the face look droopy on smiling?
- A (Arms)…. When both arms are raised, does one drift down quickly?
- S (Speech)… Is speech slurred or hard to understand?
- T (Time) …… If you spot these symptoms in yourself or someone else, call Emergency Services on 112 immediately.
Getting treatment within 3 hours of these symptoms can be a matter of life and death; of surviving or not.